It’s two-for-one DIY day on the blog! You’ll want to give today’s twofer a high five—it’s hands down one of our favorite DIYs.
Whether you treat yourself to a DIY mani-pedi weekly or only when you have a date night emergency, you know what it’s like to use commercial products on your nails. Store-bought nail polish removers and cuticle oils are laden with nasty ingredients like acetone, artificial fragrances, and parabens. We give that stuff two thumbs way down.
If you’ve been using not-so-natural nail polish remover and cuticle oil, no need to pedi panic! Try your hand at these DIYs—they’re packed with pure essential oils and other nail-loving ingredients.
Can we get a fist bump for homemade polish remover? Citrus Fresh and Lemon essential oils keep nails and cuticles healthy as they break down the polish. The bright, sunny scent is a bonus!
- ⅔ cup apple cider vinegar or 70 percent isopropyl rubbing alcohol
- 6 drops Citrus Fresh essential oil blend
- 7 drops Lemon essential oil
Instructions for DIY nail polish remover
1. Using a funnel, pour all ingredients into a 6- or 8-ounce bottle with a lid.
2. Shake gently until mixed well.
3. Soak a cotton ball in the solution, then rub onto fingernails until polish is removed. You can also dip your nails in the solution for 20-30 seconds and use a cotton ball to wipe clean.
4. Wash hands with soap and water.
5. Moisturize fingers and nails with our DIY cuticle oil
Why make your own DIY nail polish remover?
While this formula may take a little longer to remove your polish, it’s worth it. Commercial polish removers often contain acetone—a flammable chemical strong enough to dissolve plastic—as well as formaldehyde, toluene, and phthalates. They’re quick to clear off polish, but when it comes to strong, healthy nails, slow and citrus-scented wins the mani-pedi race!
Ladies and gentlemen, it’s time for a round of applause for homemade cuticle oil! This handy concoction of Frankincense, Myrrh, and V-6 Vegetable Oil Complex revitalizes the appearance of cracked cuticles and neglected nail beds while moisturizing the delicate skin on your fingers.
- 1½ teaspoons V-6 Vegetable Oil Complex
- 4 drops Frankincense essential oil
- 2 drops Myrrh essential oil
Instructions for DIY cuticle oil
1. Mix all ingredients in a small bowl.
2. Dip cotton ball in mixture and apply to cuticles.
3. Let sit on the skin for about 5 minutes, then rub into the skin and nails.
YL tip: Want an easily portable cuticle oil you can throw in your bag and take on the go? Put this same cuticle oil recipe in an empty 15 ml essential oil bottle and add an AromaGlide Roller Fitment. Roll onto your cuticles anytime, anywhere.
Why make your own DIY cuticle oil?
From sunup to sundown—and often later—your hands are hustling. They’re cleaning, gardening, texting, grocery shopping, and finger crossing. You’re nailing all the things!
Those hardworking hands deserve all the TLCC—tender, loving cuticle care—you can give them. Commercial cuticle oil and cuticle cream, even ones from so-called luxury brands, contain artificial fragrances, parabens, and preservatives. Tell your old cuticle oil to talk to the hand. It’s time for an EO-infused alternative that nourishes without unnatural ingredients!
Turn your mani-pedi me-time into an indulgent spa night. Draw a hot bath and toss in a sparkly DIY geode bath bomb. Apply a DIY clay mask and hair mask before slipping in to soak for ultimate pampering!
Tell us in the comments!
The post DIY nail polish remover and cuticle oil: a must-try mani-pedi hack appeared first on Young Living Blog.
via Young Living Blog http://bit.ly/2MwNidL