The earthy, complex nature of Patchouli essential oil makes it easy to rave about. Whether we’re using it on its own or in some of our favorite blends such as DiGize and Peace & Calming®, Patchouli oil is versatile in its uses and benefits. Its musky scent makes it popular for use in soaps and perfumes, either used as a distinctive aroma on its own or to blend with other complementary scents.
Free spirits have been drawn to Patchouli oil’s unique aroma for a long time. If you know anyone from the Woodstock era, see if the scent brings back any fond memories, or if you know anyone from the Napoleonic era, see if they recall it fondly from their favorite perfumes. (Just kidding. If you know anyone from the Napoleonic era, they’re probably ghosts.)
There’s plenty more to know about Patchouli essential oil and its uses. These fun facts will give you all the Patchouli prowess you need!
1. Patchouli is part of the mint family, but it has a powerful, musky scent—meaning you probably won’t find anyone chewing Patchouli-flavored gum! Instead, it’s used topically and aromatically throughout the world.
2. Steam distillation helps us carefully extract Patchouli essential oil from the leaves of this low, bushy shrub that is native to tropical regions of Southeast Asia.
3. Yogis can get some of Patchouli oil’s benefits when they integrate it into their practice. Diffusing it or applying a few drops topically beforehand can help create a calming and grounding atmosphere.
4. This complex oil contains the naturally occurring constituents patchoulol, bulnesene, and alpha-guaiene, which contribute to Patchouli essential oil’s versatility.
5. Looking to add some sultry scents to sudsing up? The deep, earthy aroma makes Patchouli oil soap incredibly popular, but to get even more Patchouli in your life, try using Patchouli oil in our DIY lotion bar recipe in place of the Lavender for an update on a classic.
6. Use it as a woodsy base note when creating a personal perfume. Patchouli oil perfume will help you stand out, without drama. Try our DIY perfume tutorial to perfect your scent!
7. Get skin that will make your friends ask what your secret is! Patchouli oil may improve the appearance of dry and dull skin, so apply 2–3 drops to your face as part of your nightly regimen for a healthy, youthful glow.
8. Patchouli essential oil can help your family wind down after a long day when you diffuse it to create a peaceful, relaxing atmosphere.
Now that you’re full of Patchouli power, try it with some of our other unique oils! Check out these posts for oils that are great Patchouli partners: 8 Things You Didn’t Know about Helichrysum and All About Valor!
Which Patchouli fact interested you the most?
Tell us about it in the comments!
via Young Living Blog http://bit.ly/2fMRmU8