Looking for a quick way to decorate your door or bring some life into a room? Try a DIY scented wreath! Unlike other DIY home decor, a wreath requires no sawing, sanding, painting, or drying, so you can complete this project in an afternoon.
Your wreath can be as simple or as ornate as you like. Go for a minimalist (read: low effort) look with just a few stems or fill the whole wreath so it is bursting with greenery, flowers, and whatever else your heart desires.
Finish it off with a spritz of essential oils and you have a custom decor piece that adds instant charm to your home.
How to make a DIY scented wreath
Grapevine wreath, any size (we used an 8-inch wreath in the picture)
Artificial leaves, vines, and/or flowers, any variety
Hot glue gun (optional)
Fishing line or ribbon to hang the wreath
Essential oil spray:
1. Decorate. Focusing on one section at a time, insert the stems of your flowers or foliage into the grapevine wreath. As you add additional stems, overlap the previous ones by about 1 inch.
2. Secure. Wrap wire twice around the wreath to hold the stems snugly in place; then twist the ends of the wire under a piece of decor so they are hidden from sight. Repeat for each section.
3. Embellish. Once you’re happy with the fullness of your wreath, add any embellishments you like, such as citrus fruits, sunflowers, seashells, or ribbons. Use wire or a hot glue gun to attach your embellishments.
4. Spray. Fill a glass spray bottle with 5 ounces of water and 15 drops of essential oil. Shake well and spritz onto the entire wreath.
Essential oil spray combinations:
The best thing about this DIY wreath? You can customize the scent as much as the look! Match the smell to the season or to the style of your wreath. Need some scentspiration? Here are some essential oil combos we love.
- Aloha: 10 drops Stress Away, 3 drops Cedarwood, 3 drops Spearmint, 3 drops Rosemary
- Bring on Spring: 5 drops Lavender, 5 drops Geranium, 5 drops Ylang Ylang
- Positive Vibes: 6 drops Frankincense, 6 drops Bergamot, 6 drops Clove
- Home for the Holidays: 10 drops Christmas Spirit, 5 drops Joy
Where to hang a DIY wreath
Once your creation smells as pretty as it looks, you’re ready for the hard part: deciding where to hang it in your home! Choose the classic option and put it on your front door or display it indoors where the whole household can enjoy it. The possibilities for hanging your wreath are as infinite as its iconic shape. Check out our favorite locations for indoor wreaths.
- Above a mantelpiece
- On the inside of the front door
- With picture frames and other wall decor as part of a gallery wall
- Over a dining room or kitchen table
- Above a bed
- Inside the kitchen window
- On a banister
- Over a mirror
How to hang a DIY wreath
Need a good way to display your wreath without putting holes in the wall or door? Try these damage-free ideas!
- Use a wreath hanger. This is the simplest and easiest solution; however, we don’t recommend it for exterior doors, as the hanger can spell trouble for your weather stripping.
- Try a magnetic hook. For metal surfaces and steel-reinforced doors, this is your best bet. All you need is a pretty ribbon (or some fishing line for a no-show look) to loop around your wreath and hang.
- Stick on an adhesive hook. A decor essential, these hooks leave no trace and are easy to remove if you decide to move your wreath later.
YL tip: Wreaths can be heavy, so check the weight restrictions on any hanging hardware you choose.
What will you use to make your wreath your own?
Tell us in the comments!
via Young Living Blog https://bit.ly/3b9fhr3